A new meaning to the term big  

Posted


20080428_MG_9915
Originally uploaded by ocean yamaha
We took a trip to the Forbidden City, as well as a view of Mao's mausoleum. I thought I had understood the idea of "big."

But my ideas have been rewritten.


20080428_MG_9920
I can tell you that Grant is not buried here. I can also tell you that Grant does not have a tomb that he can rise out of for viewing. Such incredible technology.


While we were hanging out in the square checking out the mausoleum, some Chinese people who must have been from out in the country came up and asked Pam and Kris to pose for a photo. Alexa was on the phone, and told us not to do it, but it was too late. Instantly, 10 more people started lining up while another five photographers showed up. They started crowding around us and Alexa protested to them that it was just rude.

I don't think they understood her.

Thankfully, in China, everything is so safe. We had nothing to worry, and the photo op quickly busted up and dispersed and we made our way to the Forbidden City.


20080428_MG_9924

20080428_MG_9929

I remember seeing the Forbidden City in the movie, The Last Emperor. But I had no idea the sense of scale to which you can lose yourself in. You can get a little better idea from this photo.


20080428_MG_9927

Alexa had hired a guide for us. His name was Jong, and I must admit I had a little trouble understanding his English.


As we walked from inner palace to inner palace, Jong told us about many of the symbolic statues. He showed us some turtle statues, saying they symbolize long life.


When we got to a court of Dowager Ci Yi (I think), Kris asked what the deer meant. Jong seemed to fumble for words for just a second. He finally came up with the symbol just as I turned to see the statue and was greeted by this:

20080428_MG_9931


He said, "it means happy."

This entry was posted on 4.29.2008 at Tuesday, April 29, 2008 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment